While most women spend a lot of time, money and efforts in taking care of their hair, skin and nails, very few women actually pay enough attention to their intimate hygiene. Lack of proper hygiene in the private areas can lead to unpleasantness and even dangerous health issues. This is especially true during the monsoons, when the chances of infections are higher. Moreover, good personal hygiene is essential to the immune system and general well being. It’s just plain common sense.
Here are some basic tips on how women should maintain their intimate hygiene on a regular basis :
- Most women feel that by using ordinary soaps to wash their private parts,
they are taking care of their intimate hygiene. However, soaps are acidic in nature, and they wash away the natural acidic layer near the vagina which serves as a protection from harmful bacteria. This increases the potential chances of bacterial growth, leading to problems like irritation, itching, odour or even infection. If you like you can use only warm water to cleanse your intimate areas, but for best results, use an intimate wash product specially designed for intimate washes.
2) It is not necessary to wash the inside of your vagina, as this may actually be causing more harm than good. Only clean on the outside, never on the inside.
3) The vagina is inhabited by good bacteria — lactobacillus — which maintains the acidity of the vagina by producing lactic acid that protects the vagina. The main reason for itching, irritation and inflammation is a change in the acidity level. It is critical to use a product which allows the pH levels around your vagina to be at the optimal levels, to beat infections, itching and other common troubles.
4) Every time you have sex, make sure you wash up. Before AND after. However tiring your session of love-making may be;) don’t forget to wash up your intimate areas, immediately after every session.
5) The area around your private areas are sensitive and delicate, and scrubbing with excessive force can cause the skin around the vagina to peel off. Intimate areas should always be cleaned gently with products that are easy on the skin, and don’t wear the skin away or reduce the pH levels around the vagina.
With these simple steps, you will be taking a big step forward in maintaining proper intimate hygiene. Stay tuned for more information in future posts…