Gingivitis is caused by plaque build-up in the teeth, which is basically a build-up of bacteria. This plaque is made up of bacteria, food debris, and mucus. Poor dental hygiene is one of the main reasons for plaque build-up, which leads to gingivitis. Other factors that increase the risk of gingivitis include:
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy
- Infections or systemic diseases (that affect the entire body)
- Certain medications like birth control pills
If you are already suffering from gingivitis, going to the dentist is not the only solution. There are many home remedies that can relieve the pain. Here’s a list of the top home remedies for gingivitis that can provide relief from this painful condition.
Baking Soda To Get Rid Of Gingivitis
You Will Need:
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
What You Have To Do
- Add enough water to the baking soda to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the gums with clean fingers.
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes and then rinse your mouth.
How Often You Should Do This
Repeat this once or twice a day.
Why This Works
This remedy will go a long way in fighting the bacteria that cause gingivitis. Baking soda neutralizes the pH in its surroundings and exerts bactericidal effects on the plaque-causing bacteria. It also cools and soothes the inflamed gums (6).
Be careful to not get any baking soda on your teeth. Multiple and repetitive applications of baking soda can damage the tooth enamel.