In case of a dental abscess, it is advisable to consult a dentist as soon as possible. To reduce dental pain, you can adopt a few simple gestures and take a analgesic medication. Depending on your condition, an emergency consultation is sometimes necessary.
Dental abscess: Take steps to reduce dental pain and consult
Do you have a toothache or do you think you have symptoms of dental abscess?
It is recommended that you consult a dental surgeon or a stomatologist as soon as possible.
While waiting for your appointment, you can limit the dental pain and pressure on the abscess, by applying the following tips:
- Avoid very hot or very cold foods and beverages;
- Prefer soft foods and chew with the side of the mouth without abscesses;
- Use a soft toothbrush and do not pass dental floss around the affected tooth;
- Take a medicine to calm the pain. Paracetamol is to be used at first intention. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are
- contraindicated in the case of dental abscesses;
- Apply a pocket of ice to your face, at the level of the abscess, surrounded by a clean cloth (no more than ten minutes in a row).
When to consult urgently in case of a dental abscess?
In the following cases of complicated dental abscesses, it is advisable to consult a dental surgeon immediately and if this is not possible, to go to the emergency room:
- You have a fever and your face is swollen: it may mean that the infection is spreading beyond the oral cavity;
- Your immune system is weakened by a disease or by certain treatments (chemotherapy, treatment with corticosteroids);
- Your doctor advised you to be vigilant in case of oral infection, to avoid complications of a chronic condition (e.g., diabetes, heart valve disease).
please do not forget to help us by sharing this post as you can. thank you.